AS YOU LIKE IT

DRAMATIS PERSONAE.

DUKE, living in exile

FREDERICK, his brother, and usurper of his dominions

AMIENS, lord attending on the banished Duke

JAQUES, " " " " " "

LE BEAU, a courtier attending upon Frederick

CHARLES, wrestler to Frederick

OLIVER, son of Sir Rowland de Boys

JAQUES, " " " " " "

ORLANDO, " " " " " "

ADAM, servant to Oliver

DENNIS, " " "

TOUCHSTONE, the court jester

SIR OLIVER MARTEXT, a vicar

CORIN, shepherd

SILVIUS, "

WILLIAM, a country fellow, in love with Audrey

A person representing HYMEN

ROSALIND, daughter to the banished Duke

CELIA, daughter to Frederick

PHEBE, a shepherdes

AUDREY, a country wench

Lords, Pages, Foresters, and Attendants

SCENE:

OLIVER'S house; FREDERICK'S court; and the Forest of Arden

ACT I. SCENE I.

Orchard of OLIVER'S house

Enter ORLANDO and ADAM

ORLANDO. As I remember, Adam, it was upon this fashion bequeathed

me by will but poor a thousand crowns, and, as thou say'st,

charged my brother, on his blessing, to breed me well; and there

begins my sadness. My brother Jaques he keeps at school, and

report speaks goldenly of his profit. For my part, he keeps me

rustically at home, or, to speak more properly, stays me here at

home unkept; for call you that keeping for a gentleman of my

birth that differs not from the stalling of an ox? His horses are

bred better; for, besides that they are fair with their feeding,

they are taught their manage, and to that end riders dearly

hir'd; but I, his brother, gain nothing under him but growth; for

the which his animals on his dunghills are as much bound to him

as I. Besides this nothing that he so plentifully gives me, the

something that nature gave me his countenance seems to take from

me. He lets me feed with his hinds, bars me the place of a

brother, and as much as in him lies, mines my gentility with my

education. This is it, Adam, that grieves me; and the spirit of

my father, which I think is within me, begins to mutiny against

this servitude. I will no longer endure it, though yet I know no

wise remedy how to avoid it.

Enter OLIVER

ADAM. Yonder comes my master, your brother.

ORLANDO. Go apart, Adam, and thou shalt hear how he will shake me

up. [ADAM retires]

OLIVER. Now, sir! what make you here?

ORLANDO. Nothing; I am not taught to make any thing.

OLIVER. What mar you then, sir?

ORLANDO. Marry, sir, I am helping you to mar that which God made, a

poor unworthy brother of yours, with idleness.

OLIVER. Marry, sir, be better employed, and be nought awhile.

ORLANDO. Shall I keep your hogs, and eat husks with them? What

prodigal portion have I spent that I should come to such penury?

OLIVER. Know you where you are, sir?

ORLANDO. O, sir, very well; here in your orchard.

OLIVER. Know you before whom, sir?

ORLANDO. Ay, better than him I am before knows me. I know you are

my eldest brother; and in the gentle condition of blood, you

should so know me. The courtesy of nations allows you my better

in that you are the first-born; but the same tradition takes not

away my blood, were there twenty brothers betwixt us. I have as

much of my father in me as you, albeit I confess your coming

before me is nearer to his reverence.

OLIVER. What, boy! [Strikes him]

ORLANDO. Come, come, elder brother, you are too young in this.

OLIVER. Wilt thou lay hands on me, villain?

ORLANDO. I am no villain; I am the youngest son of Sir Rowland de

Boys. He was my father; and he is thrice a villain that says such

a father begot villains. Wert thou not my brother, I would not

take this hand from thy throat till this other had pull'd out thy

tongue for saying so. Thou has rail'd on thyself.

ADAM. [Coming forward] Sweet masters, be patient; for your father's

remembrance, be at accord.

OLIVER. Let me go, I say.

ORLANDO. I will not, till I please; you shall hear me. My father

charg'd you in his will to give me good education: you have

train'd me like a peasant, obscuring and hiding from me all

gentleman-like qualities. The spirit of my father grows strong in

me, and I will no longer endure it; therefore allow me such

exercises as may become a gentleman, or give me the poor

allottery my father left me by testament; with that I will go buy

my fortunes.

OLIVER. And what wilt thou do? Beg, when that is spent? Well, sir,

get you in. I will not long be troubled with you; you shall have

some part of your will. I pray you leave me.

ORLANDO. I no further offend you than becomes me for my good.

OLIVER. Get you with him, you old dog.

ADAM. Is 'old dog' my reward? Most true, I have lost my teeth in

your service. God be with my old master! He would not have spoke

such a word.

Exeunt ORLANDO and ADAM

OLIVER. Is it even so? Begin you to grow upon me? I will physic

your rankness, and yet give no thousand crowns neither. Holla,

Dennis!

Enter DENNIS

DENNIS. Calls your worship?

OLIVER. not Charles, the Duke's wrestler, here to speak with me?

DENNIS. So please you, he is here at the door and importunes access

to you.

OLIVER. Call him in. [Exit DENNIS] 'Twill be a good way; and

to-morrow the wrestling is.



DESCARGAR COMPLETO

No hay comentarios: